Friday 17 July 2009

Saul Bass wishlist



Oh I wish I could get my hands on a copy of this beautiful out-of-print children's book written by Leonore Klein and designed by Saul Bass. Henri's walk to Paris (published in 1962 by Young Scott books) is the story of a young French boy from Reboul who dreams about going to Paris. One day, after reading a book, he decides to pack up some lunch and sets out for the city.



In Paris there are many parks and rows and rows of trees. The Park in Reboul has only five trees. In Paris there are many zoos full of animals for the people to see.
So one fine day Henri packs up some lunch and starts off to see all the things he had read about.
(actual preface)





What follows is Henri's long journey to the capital.



Just look at those colours!

I've fallen in love with this book, found via Grainedit, one of my inspirational daily reads. Follow the link to Grainedit's Flickr set for more wonderful pics.

4 comments:

  1. That's amazing. I love it! I love seeing the repetitive pattern of the buses. Have you been and gone from Yorkshire now? Back to sunnier climes if you are lucky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our hols are almost over - it really has been great (Leeds has changed so much). Must try and come back more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous book! I keep seeing the work of others in it though ;) Who knows how far-reaching it's effect was when we were all little things! I swear that's an Orla Kiely transport scene! K

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely surprise to see this book here... Saul Bass was my teacher's teacher, and I have always had a soft spot for this book... as well admiring all the rest of his work! Especially the title sequences of films — a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!